In no particular order, and bearing in mind that it's songs about who I am rather than just songs I love :
1) 'Strange Little Girl', The Stranglers. Well, obviously.
2) 'Astradyne', Ultravox. I've always said that if I were a piece of music, this would be it - it's an instrumental, but it's pure synthesiser and it has intense spiking high points and quiet sparkling low points and, and. Stuff.
3) 'Strict Machine', Goldfrapp. "I'm dressed in white noise, you know just what I want, so please...wonderful electric, cover me in you...I'm in love with a strict machine." Any questions?
4) 'Severina', The Mission. Yes, it's a cliché, but it's also true. She believes in angels, she believes in the will of the gods, and she's dancing by the light of the moon.
5) 'Kinda I Want To', Nine Inch Nails. Yes, another cliché. No matter how many of these situations I have to work my way out of, no matter what I break in the process, I always seem to get into more of them. And I know it's not the good thing, but kinda I want to.
6) 'Safety Dance', Men Without Hats. I know, I know. But it's so true.
7) 'Sapphire', Ayria. "I never meant to hurt myself, but I don't feel too nice today, and when you got in my way I never meant to beat you, but now the damage is done, here comes the future - and it's not looking so bright..."
8) 'Take Of Me', Alison Moyet. This song says a lot about the way in which I fall in love, though I'm not sure I could explain how. Also for the line "Why alone? I'll be lonely with you..." which is one of my favourites. Everyone should hear this song, it's gorgeous.
9) 'Trash', Alice Cooper. Some time ago someone I adore told me this song ought to have been written for me, so I went and looked it up. It's one of the biggest compliments I've ever been paid, and yes, it's also very true. "You can walk the streets with all your uptown flash...but when you hit the sheets you just turn to trash..." ~grin~
10) 'Crown Of Thorns', Erasure. For reasons I can't quite explain. It says things about the way in which I see the world, about how dramatic I am and in what way, about how I see England. But only obliquely. Also, it's by Erasure, who were the first band I really followed, and thus worth mentioning because really they got me into music, and that's a huge part of who I am.
11) 'Fiction (Dreams In Digital)', Orgy. God, how I love this song. "Do you wonder what it's like living in a permanent imagination? Sleeping to escape reality - but you like it like that... Guilty by design, she's nothing more than fiction; she dreams in digital, 'cause it's better than nothing now that control has gone - it seems unreal, she's dreaming in digital..." And so on.
12) 'Living In Neon', Spray. "Electrified, synthesized, modified - bona fide. A synthpop girl in a synthpop world, looking at the synthpop universe - electrostatic stars and the neon moon - tonight we're gonna party like it's 1982...
Electrified paradise. Neon lights; dry ice. Automate and aviate, integrate, and celebrate. Airwaves crackle, diodes fuse - the future that we live in was designed in '52..."
I want to put more on! So much more...~sigh~ Can't I have a double CD? The Now That's What I Call Music series comes out on double CDs, and they're full of *bad* music...~s~