See, people did remember to mention that Richard O'Brien was in it, which was the first (and really only) thing that made me want to see it. I say only - everything else people said made me think it was (just) some kind of precursor to the ideas of The Matrix, and lord knows I hated that film. People told me it was a geek thing, something I wouldn't 'get'.
They neglected to mention the gloves. The knives. The mind control. The blood, threats and throat slitting. The serial murders - the serial murders of prostitutes, no less. The fact that Richard O'Brien is involved in all of the above. The Kiefer Sutherland. The Rufus Sewell (I still wish he were playing Sirius) - so beautiful.
So believable. I am sort of in shock. Fantastic film. Wow.
Also, I feel like the wounds from watching 'Brazil' have just been healed by it. Thank god for that.
1. What did you do in 2003 that you'd never done before?
* Auditioned for something and got in.
* Had sex, despite years of insisting that it was pointless.
* Did $stuff in (sort of) public. Rah.
* Was genuinely poly rather than just theoretically.
* Went to a fetish club.
* Stayed overnight in a hospital, though not for me.
* Bought my own clothes, and some really damn nice ones at that.
(I'd imagine there's more stuff, but I can't think of it now.)
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No, I never make New Year's resolutions - it may be a convenient temporal place for some people to hang an "Under New Management" sign on their lives, but it never seems to work for me. I'm going at my own pace, making resolutions alongside realisations. Or something less daft-sounding.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes - katyha. It was a very special day.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, a close family friend who was one of the world's true good people. She is and will be missed.
5. What countries did you visit?
I think this is nearly the first year of my life in which I haven't once been out of the country. I say nearly because I started the year in Belgium, and leave for Paris tomorrow. Thank goodness.
6. What would you like to have in 2004 that you lacked in 2003?
Enough money (this will involve actually being sensible.) A place on a BMus at the Guildhall. Certain people, FSVO 'have'. More time with certain other people.
7. What date from 2003 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There isn't just one and I am hopeless at remembering actual dates (could look it up on LJ but that would be sad), so :
* The night dennyd decided I might be girlfriend material after all.
* The day wechsler decided the same, at Whitby.
* Both the days in January when really interesting things happened with the above people. Separately. Then. :)
* A Night At The Opera with ladycat and rosenkavalier.
* The SM Ball with dennyd.
* 17th June for being, like, the worst day ever.
* ...mneh. Dates and BDSM stuff with all sorts of people (especially some of the most recent things) and, heck, I don't forget much.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning that I deserve some good things, and all that that entailed, like saying goodbye to the bad things.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not recognising some of the bad things until they hit me over the head, and treating wildeabandon quite badly over the Summer while I was, admittedly, insane.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not myself, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmm. I love a lot of the things I bought this year, but in some ways the leopardprint skirt that became the leopardprint minidress. I still can't believe I've had the confidence to wear it out on more than one occasion and nobody's yet said anything nasty about it.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Goodness. Everyone's. :) Including mine, damn it.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
artysmokes. K and D.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Train fares and pretty clothes.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
dennyd and wechsler and Jon and other people, mostly. It's usually about the people.
16. What songs will always remind you of 2003?
Mostly I suspect the songs will always remind me of the people, not the year.
17. Compared to this time last year,
i. are you happier or sadder?
Happier. Quite a lot happier.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Slightly thinner I think.
iii. richer or poorer?
Poorer. Much poorer. :)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
D/s. But I would have if I could have, and it was down to others' lack of interest not poor time management on my part. :)
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Crying and cutting, as ever. And a little less going to pieces would have been useful, too.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Hopefully, at least cordially with my mum and dad in Paris.
22. Did you fall in love in 2003?
23. How many one night stands?
I'll let you know.
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Hollyoaks. No, really. ~s~
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Everything I read was fantastic. The suddenly ubiquitous 'Ender's Game' and all the books by Poppy Z. Brite deserve particular mention.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ozric Tentacles, Manuskript, recent John Foxx, JuJu Babies, and a lot - an awful lot - of songs.
28. What did you want and get?
A place on the course, and a lot of people, FSVO 'get'.
29. What did you want and not get?
Other people, again FSVO 'get'. Most of them I haven't given up on. ~g~
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Pirates Of The Caribbean, almost certainly, though X2, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, RotK, LXG, Underworld and the Matrix : Reloaded were all in there.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Cried a lot over dennyd in the hospital and then came back to London and broke wechsler. ~grin~ I was 19.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Um. Discovering certain people sooner, and getting together with certain people I didn't manage to or have any chance with at all.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2003?
34. What kept you sane?
asrana and music.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
*ahem* How famous does one have to be to constitute celebrity?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
Everyone, as ever, when not seeing them. And, oddly, my parents, from time to time. Also giolla, obviously.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Too many people to list them all, but rathenar, spikeylady, angelmine and heteronormative are definitely some of them.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2003
You can say "no" to people and the world will not end.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
"I, I'm a new day rising,
I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight...
...It's times like these you learn to live again..."