1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Fell in love with a band. Made people all sorts of CDs. Survived a term of college, just about.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make new year's resolutions - they only bring added guilt with them when you can't manage to do what you thought you'd like to, and honestly, who in this crazy world needs more guilt these days?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nobody who was close to me at the time, I don't think.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nobody close to me, but someone close to a number of my friends.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just America this year. I'm slipping. :)
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
A lasting relationship, proper albums by both The Modern and Temposhark, Casanova on DVD. :) Oh, I'm sure there's more, but whatever.
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I suppose the 7th of July, really. I don't do well at remembering dates, but I was, in fact, supposed to be going to see Temposhark and The Modern that night (I really was! I know we're sensing a theme here but I honestly was) so I was already holding onto that date, even before some bastards tried to blow my city up. Other than that, the 12th of November. What a great gig that was.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Without doubt, surviving college for a term.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmm. Probably the way I dealt with things with lovelyoliver. Or yesterday, maybe I saved my biggest failure for yesterday. It's hard to tell.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Christmas presents for everyone this year were brilliant. ~grin~ But I've got to go back to one of those bands again, because it was in January of 2005 that I bought 'Neon ?' by Temposhark in HMV almost by accident, and I don't know what this year could possibly have been like without it.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Many people, including notintheseheels, asrana, sparksoflight, katyha, Chris, That Band, That Other Band...
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Oh, the usual people. And my own.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Music. I like being able to say that, it's how it should be.
15. What events did you get really, really, really excited about?
Heh, yes, I know. But all the Modern gigs, obviously. Also my second Calling after about a year and a half of not going. Also every time I was going to see notintheseheels. Also the 29th, obviously. I get excited about too much.
16. What songs will always remind you of 2005?
...um. Everything by The Modern, everything by Temposhark, now it'll be all of Imogen Heap's album rather than just 'The Moment I Said It' because I got it yesterday and it's a dream, 'The Track Through The Woods' by George, 'Oh What A World' by Rufus Wainwright, 'Nostalgia' by Readers Wifes, 'The JCB Song' by Nizlopi, everything off Supernature by Goldfrapp plus 'Beautiful', 'Girls In The Back' by White Rose Movement, everything by Maxïmo Park...I know there's more, but I'll stop now.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Thinner or fatter? Currently marginally thinner, I think.
Richer or poorer? Right now, richer by about three pounds or something. Come back, student loan company, all is forgiven or at least put on hold for now.
Happier or sadder? I don't know. I don't know how long the way I feel right this minute is going to last, or what I was feeling like at this precise time last year. LiveJournal says I was pretty happy this time last year; I'd just discovered the Establishment over on JournalFen. That'll be definitely sadder right now than I was then, then.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Going to Modern gigs (just wish I'd seen them earlier), actually making it to Temposhark gigs (I am so useless), seeing Chris, I guess, spending time with Lizzie and Alex, being happy.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Crying, fighting with people, falling in love.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Relatively quietly and uneventfully with my family.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
asrana and notintheseheels.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
23. How many one-night stands?
None. I'm not exactly capable of that sort of thing.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Doctor Who. :) Gosh, what a scary thing to admit. It was either that or Waking The Dead, I think, or maybe The F Word...
They've all got something in common, rather, haven't they?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. I hate someone more, mind.
26. What was the best book you read?
Sigh. I've barely read anything this year, I don't think. It's always weird to realise that.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery or rediscovery?
Heh. I invite you to guess. Apart from anything else, technically I don't know one single answer.
28. What did you want and get?
Shiny things for Hallowe'en, from asrana, who loves me. A chance to chat to The Modern (and indeed two thirds of Temposhark). 'Paris'. I don't know. E-mails from Chris. Recognition on Audiography.
29. What did you want and not get?
Let's just...not go there, shall we?
30. What were your favorite films of this year?
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Batman Begins, HP&GOF, Goblet Of Fire...nothing else springs to mind right this minute.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 21, and apparently I spent most of it at home with the family and asrana and then came back to London and watched Mock The Week and fell in lust with Hugh Dennis. There are worse ways to spend a birthday.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Damn it, there's this guy, in this band...
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
In need of work. I've mostly decided to stop pretending to be a goth, because I'm not one, but in order to go the way I ought to go I need more clothes. Lots more clothes.
34. What kept you sane?
asrana, notintheseheels, sparksoflight, katyha, various songs, cross stitch (at times), sleep.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most/least?
Tell me, are The Modern and Temposhark celebrities yet? ~s~ Also Gordon and Giles, obviously, and Hugh Dennis. And Christian Bale, a lot.
As for 'least', it's usually Michael Winner and I don't know that this year is any exception.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I may be 21, but I don't seem to have grown up at all on that front.
37. Whom did you miss?
giolla and ruis, more than anyone, I think. And then stumphed.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
notintheseheels and sparksoflight totally win that one. :) Possibly also the bands. Oh! And scarethewolves and playingthetart, who I forgot I'd met this year because it feels like I've known them forever. Much later I remember that I also met slightlyfoxed and spyinthehaus this year, or technically at the very end of 2004. I like you two a lot. You know that though. :)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005 :
I don't think I have one. I feel particularly as though I haven't learned any lessons right this minute.
Cheered a little bit by the charmingly silly club mix of 'Common People' that turned up halfway through writing this. 2005 : ten years later than 1995. :)